The holidays are just around the corner, it’s time to start thinking about what meals to prepare to celebrate. For many Canadians, the holidays are a time for family, friends, and of course, delicious food! Canada is a diverse country with many different cultural influences, so it’s no surprise that there are a variety of traditional dishes to choose from. From classic turkey dinners to festive desserts, something classic or something a bit more modern, here are the top 10 meals to prepare over the holidays in Canada.
1. Roast Turkey: Roast turkey is a classic holiday meal in Canada. Whether it’s roasted in the oven or cooked on the barbecue, it’s a delicious and easy way to feed a crowd. Serve it with all the traditional sides like mashed potatoes, stuffing, and cranberry sauce for a truly Canadian feast.
2. Tourtière: Tourtière is a traditional French-Canadian meat pie. It’s usually made with ground pork, beef, or veal, and is flavored with spices like cloves, cinnamon, and allspice. Serve it with a side of ketchup or chutney for an extra special treat.
3. Poutine: Poutine is a Canadian favorite, especially during the holidays. It’s a dish of french fries, cheese curds, and gravy. It’s a great way to feed a crowd and can be served as an appetizer or a main course.
4. Nanaimo Bars: Nanaimo bars are a classic Canadian dessert. They’re made with a chocolate and coconut base, a creamy custard layer, and a chocolate topping. They’re easy to make and always a hit at holiday gatherings.
5. Maple Syrup Taffy: Maple syrup taffy is a classic Canadian treat. It’s made by boiling maple syrup until it reaches a softball stage and then pouring it onto the snow. It’s a fun activity for the whole family and a delicious way to end the meal.
6. Bûche de Noël: This traditional French dessert is a must-have for any holiday celebration. It’s a sponge cake roll filled with cream and usually decorated to look like a log.
7. Smoked Salmon: Smoked salmon is a popular dish in Canada, and is a great addition to any holiday meal. It’s usually served with crackers, cream cheese, and capers.
8. Pea Soup: Pea soup is a traditional Canadian dish, and is a great way to warm up during the cold winter months. It’s usually served with ham or bacon and is sure to be a hit.
9. Butter Tarts: These sweet treats are a Canadian classic. They’re made with a flaky pastry crust, filled with a gooey mixture of butter, sugar, and eggs, and usually topped with raisins or walnuts.
10. Maple Syrup Pie: This delicious pie is a great way to end any holiday meal. It’s made with a buttery crust, filled with sweet maple syrup custard, and topped with whipped cream.
These are just a few of the many delicious meals to prepare over the holidays in Canada. No matter what your holiday celebrations look like this year, these top 11 meals are sure to be a hit. From classic dishes to modern takes on traditional favorites, there’s something for everyone to enjoy. So get cooking and enjoy a truly Canadian holiday feast! Bon appétit!