If you’re finding it tough to stick to your workout routine during the cold winter months, you’re not alone. Exercise during the winter can feel like a real struggle – but it’s possible to make it work. Here are some of our top tips for getting and staying motivated during the winter months:
1. Get the right gear – Invest in some comfortable workout clothes which will keep you warm when you’re outdoors and dry when you’re doing indoor workouts. This will make you much more likely to actually do the workout.
2. Track your progress – Set yourself a specific goal and then track your progress by regularly logging workouts and weights in a spreadsheet or a free app available for tracking. This will show you how much you’ve accomplished and provide motivation to keep going.
3. Improve your nutrition – Eating healthy can be hard in the winter when there are fewer fresh fruits and vegetables available. Stock up on canned and frozen fruits and vegetables so you still have plenty of options for healthy meals.
4. Get creative – Don’t be afraid to get creative with your workouts. For example, make a snowman or an igloo while you’re waiting for your running route to thaw out. You can also do core or stretching exercises at home while you’re watching TV or listening to music while on the treadmill.
5. Have an accountability partner – Having an accountability partner will make you more likely to hold yourself to your goals. Make sure you schedule regular workout dates and make each other accountable for sticking to them.
6. Take advantage of daylight – Make the most of the limited daylight by squeezing in a workout during the daylight hours. This will help you get your workout done while it’s still light outside, instead of trying to do it when the day is already winding down.
7. Get excited about winter sports – This is my most favourite. Take advantage of the winter weather by participating in snowshoeing, cross-country skiing or other winter sports. Not only are there physical benefits, but winter sports can also be a great way to get out and enjoy nature. You can visit https://tourismnewbrunswick.ca/winter-outdoor for some exciting outdoor activities in New Brunswick.
These are just a few tips for staying motivated during the colder months. You may need to get a little inventive and find activities and exercises that work for you. As long as you’re committed to staying active, you’ll reap the physical and mental health benefits all year round.
Visit www.gofredericton.com/blog for more exciting and helpful blogs.